Sunday, August 09, 2009

Score for Fri, Sat, and Sun: 4

I finally had a series of virtuous days. Saturday Shiva and I went to Spectacle Island, part of the Boston Harbor Islands. It was a gorgeous day and the perfect way to relax in the summer. I was able to read a significant portion of Middlemarch, one of two books I'm working on right now (the other being The Image of the City by Kevin Lynch).
I'm pleased with my self-control and deliberateness of action. One deficiency is my inconsistent use of the organizational system I have established for myself. For example, I want to look through my task list, calendar, and other organizers daily, but sometimes I do not. I've also realized that in the haste of my life over the last several months, I have completely abandoned my study of French. I watched a French film today and was still able to understand much of the dialogue, but I don't expect to retain my knowledge indefinitely. I'm debating what to do about this. I really don't have much more time to spread around to other activities.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put down Middlemarch and go pick up the French translation of it.

Chris said...

Unfortunately, at 800 pages, a French version of Middlemarch would take me 5 years to read. The English version might take me 1 year to read given my schedule. Plus, I read so many non-English texts in translation, I wouldn't want to pass on the opportunity to read a Great Book in its original language.