Friday, August 14, 2009

Score for Thursday: 2

If we were doing half points, I'd give it a 2.5. The energy wasn't there, and that is important. I did more than an hour of statistics, but I didn't do any GIS for some reason. I also didn't work out, and even though it was a waste of time, I watched the Eagles pre-season game instead of reading or doing something else of true value. I think watching regular season games is legitimate--even if it weren't virtuous, we're entitled to some non-virtuous enjoyments, yet in fact, I think watching regular season football is virtuous, if one is perceptive. Anyway, I'm not going to go on that tangent now, but the point is, pre-season is for testing pieces, trying new formations, and letting new guys battle for positions. It's interesting to the connoisseur but not to the general viewer. Middlemarch would have been immeasurably more valuable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the Eagles are entertainment, period. They make you feel good because they are your home team, and you share a sense of being a part of them like everyone else in Philadelphia (except my grandparents apparently... but they are no doubt a part of the Phillies).

So if you are trying to balance your virtuous and productive and valuable activities with entertainment and relaxation, I'd say it is fine. But do you have an approximation of time set aside for relaxation? 1 whole day a week? 8 hours a week? Or is it more along the lines of judgement in weighing what you could be doing for relaxation vs. what you could be doing productively?