Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Outcome: "Win"
Record: 75-4
Streak: Won 11

Summary: Here's something I think we can all agree about, regardless of our personal philosophies: let us never fail to do a thing because of laziness. Different philosophies will produce different sets of "things" and different ways to accomplish them. Perhaps Dan thinks he should accomplish 20 things in a day, whereas I might think that I should accomplish 10 things in a day. If we both accomplish our things, to say that one or both of us is shameful is really saying our philosophies and our personal expectations were flawed. But if one of us falls short of his target due to the fact that he didn't feel like it, that's dishonorable. It seems to me that, fundamentally, to neglect a task for the sole reason that you didn't feel like it (assuming that you weren't sick or something like that) is shameful.
There was a line in Artist's Way that deeply resonated with me, and I want to post it here. It reads, "Like most blocked creatives, he suffered from a deadly duo: artistic anorexia and prideful perfectionism." My understanding of artistic anorexia is that it's martyring yourself for the sake of something or someone else, constantly denying yourself pleasure and stimulation. I imagine guilt goes along with this (feeling like it's bad and indulgent to be creative). Anyway, I've been meditating on that passage since I read it. I think it's true, #1, and I think that it would be of great value for me to work on this, #2. So, now I'm working on it, and it's tough to break those tendencies.
I worked, did French, biked, enjoyed little things throughout the day, did laundry, cleaned, spent an hour practicing for the GRE, and after dinner I'm going to spend time with Artist's Way and perhaps my French grammar book if there's time.
My cappuccino was actually a latte today. Sometimes I have difficulty getting the micro-bubbles that the really good baristas there get. The drink was still delicious. For dinner I'm going to make rice and try a new peanut sauce that I picked up from Whole Foods. I've also been enjoying a radio station on the internet that plays Persian music. I'll listen to that while I'm eating dinner.

1 comment:

Derek said...

Yeah I always thought that, metaphorically, the only way to accomplish is to bleed yourself daily. Some days, though, the blood seems too thick.