Thursday, January 10, 2008

I woke up late, read a Vanity Fair article, wasted time on-line, prepared for my Kaplan audition, went to the audition, exercised, ate dinner, talked to Dan for a long time on the phone, and wrote out a comprehensive "to-do" list. After this I'm reading and going to bed.
I used my day decently, but not great. Waking up late was shameful, and I neither enjoyed nor was advanced by the VF article. I moved too slowly after dinner, and I probably spoke too much on the phone. At least I gave a good effort at the audition, exercised, and compiled my list. Those were virtuous things.
While compiling my list, I was running into the problem of trying to make reality fit a "system". This is a familiar theme in the virtue blog ring. Eventually I gave up on trying to classify each item and requiring each to have due dates. I just wrote them out as one long list, and ones that had real due dates I put due dates for, and the rest I'm just leaving for now. There were 35 items on the list. It feels overwhelming. I do think that the way I handled the generation of the list was good.
Right now I'm feeling stressed out. I'm worried about the audition and what might happen if I don't get that job. I feel overwhelmed by tasks. Finally, I feel moral repulsion at myself for not being happier with my situation. I have everything--I am comfortable, free, well-off, educated, etc. etc, so I should be thankful. Sadly, right now I just feel anxiety. Maybe it's my sugar addiction, which, by the way, I'm trying to break again. Today is day 2.

No comments: