Monday, March 31, 2008

Items Removed From Task List: 0
Items Added to Task List: 2 "Call ___ at Penn", "Figure out health insurance from Kaplan"
Items Currently On Task List: 29

Summary: Visited Penn and worked on Kaplan. Great experience at Penn. No worries about excessive focus on theory or design. The program was balanced and just seems awesome overall. Talked to a prof and a few students. Sat in on 2 classes. Spent time in 1st year workshops coordinated through WRT--most if not all were real life projects (hence real life clients) in the Philadelphia region. And finally, I had another killer vegetarian sandwich from the Magic Carpet lunch truck
I want to limit my internet time at night. I need to employ my inspectional reading skills and go quickly. E-mails/blogs/news can take up so much time, and the value can often be pretty low, in my opinion. I'm aiming for 1/2 hour. Tonight will be more like 40 minutes because of high e-mail volume. What should I do? I decided that I will never simply ignore someone's email, so I need enough time to open, read, and respond to each, on a basic level.

Plan for tomorrow: Kaplan prep and then class at night. Dishes + call Penn student afterward if there's time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that news has little value, because it is usually a pitch that is being marketed to you. Respected news organizations like BBC seem to have richer news stories, but I think in reality the BBC are just the lesser of two evils so to speak.

Thanks for the email responses, but I could tell that they were forced. Maybe next time send one email addressing both? Although sometimes I think a response isn't really necessary. This is probably an art, much like it is an art to have someone believe you really care when you see them in the break room at work and talk with them. "How are you doing?" is never enough -- the elicitation has to be unique and enthusiastic.