Sunday, January 04, 2009

I came back today--I took Amtrak to get back up here. It was tough leaving as always, but I'm ready to get started again. The train ride itself was pleasant. I worked on my research for the duration of the trip. There are a few things I notice on that train ride that are striking: 1) the modernist high rise housing right before you leave the boundaries of NYC, on Erskine Place in the Bronx. They're so classic. They could be the textbook entry for American Modernist High-Rise Housing. 2) Norwalk and New London CT. I love old port/industrial cities like that, with the brick factories, narrow streets, and waterfront areas. 3) the building which I assume is the city hall for Providence. It's amazing--that building alone made me ponder what it would be like to live in Providence.
Of course, go Eagles! That was great. Later I did laundry, unpacked, and went grocery shopping. I talked to Drew, who I haven't talked to in a while. It was nice to get caught up and cool to hear he might be in the area soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The train is luxurious. It's hard to imagine what business class might be like. I feel like I'm already in business class: large seats, plenty of room, electrical outlets.

I feel like living in Providence may be something like living in Brookhaven. It seems to be a neat little town, at least where the folks go to hang out. But of course there are ghettos like any city which is why I say Brookhaven because it seems like the area is modest, and then just down the street you have areas like Chester (when I went exploring this kid was looking in car windows and this man of the same race as him turned around and said to me, "young kids just never learn").

Seemed to have the same kookie characters as Philly, though. People in the ghetto didn't bother me. White youths would talk random shit when I walked around the (more) trendy areas.