Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 1 of my program is complete. It was great. We already made a model on the first day, and I think we're going to expand on it tomorrow. We were divided into small groups of about 10, and my group seems tight. It'll be intense, but excellent.
I was proud that I minimized my social awkwardness today. I wasn't Tom Hagen, but who is these days? One day I hope to get to that point, but until then I'll just do my best. There was only one real faux-pas, and it's debatable where the fault lies: I was talking to this guy and he mentioned that he was attending UC Santa Cruz. I asked him if he was from California, just because many of the UC students are from in state, and he was like, "Wait...did I say that?" but in a tone that sounded like he may have been offended. Then I realized that he may have thought I was stereo typing him, because he was drinking some kind of natural drink, carrying a skateboard, had a pony tail, and was wearing some slightly hippyish clothing. The truth is that people of his appearance can be found all over, so I didn't make any assumptions about his home state based on his appearance. Oh well, it was slight, but if I were Tom Hagen I probably could have prevented that from happening.
Not much else happened today. I did some push-ups. The walk from my house to school takes almost 30 minutes, so that's basically my workout right there. I might do a bit of French before bed, but I might not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If there was any fault, it was with the pompous ponytail guy. If you had no knowledge that he was from UC, then it was your bias. Since you had the knowledge that he was attending UC, which is in fact a state school, then you were perfectly all right to have asked that question. Maybe "Where are you from?" is a better question and maybe it isn't necessarily better, but I see no fault with the one you asked. His response was uncouth, since it makes no sense first of all and secondly it had a taste of hubris.

I am trying to generalize my questions, but sometimes I do ask presupposed questions like this. I can see where you might have been going with this one: you lived in California before so you could find something in common to discuss. Not too long ago I made a presupposition that was based off of nothing at all and it made me (and the questioned person) embarrassed because I made a glorifying assumption when the reality was actually lesser.