Sunday, June 14, 2009

Inertia is imparted upon our minds by culture, upbringing, education, friends, and other factors. In order to live freely we must be able to view ourselves critically and be able to reshape our beliefs. Fortunately, there are curricula that exist to accomplish this goal, and they work well. But I was thinking that there are many non-intellectual imprisonments that we suffer from, and there are fewer programs to address them. Two that come to mind are food and fashion. Yes, a motivated person could seek out magazines, books, and forums on these topics and expand themselves that way, but using these things and nothing more still makes it difficult, and that's assuming that a person would be highly motivated in the first place.
There's an additional factor that I think is less often recognized, but just as important. Comfort creates major inertia, and it's more than comfort--it has to do with your concept of self. Even if someone gives you explicit instructions about how to improve your diet or dress, the follow-through is not just dependent on your motivation--it depends also on your ability to venture outside of your comfort sphere. It's why the kids in the Wire wanted to go to McDonalds even after Bunny took them to that expensive restaurant downtown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why the kids in the Wire wanted to go to McDonalds was probably because the expensive restaurant gave them the equivalent of two nuggets and 5 fries as expensive restaurants are wont to do.

I can see what you are saying in terms of the general population. But I don't think it has much to do with motivation or comfort in many cases (though in some cases this is true). I think the reality is that people simply don't know. How many times I have imparted the knowledge about where our clothes are made or what it is exactly we are eating and people have then questioned their future behavior. Some don't care, but I would still venture to say that if those people had some first hand experience they may change their minds. In my own case, I did not know that cheese was made with enzymes from the stomach of a cow, nor did I really consider that dairy is only possible because a calves are born (then the calves become veal usually if they are male). After 7 years of being vegetarian I learned this. So how can we all learn relevant information? How do we filter out the irrelevant? Do I care to know that the FCC got 300,000 calls the day analog died; or perhaps I may be better off learning something new about how healthful (or not) tofu is for humans.