Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It seems that many people seek constant pleasure and ease in their lives, and I think this is misguided. Emotionally, I believe a range of feelings is healthy, and at times, intensity is a good thing. This is why I like the weather in the northeast better than California. Even keeled weather that is always pleasant dulls the soul, in my opinion. While of course the cold is bitter and the heat is oppressive, I value being physically involved in a dramatic procession. It is invigorating. It's what's lacking in the idea of being "chill". This is the idol of my generation, being chill. I think we're too chill. We should give more of a shit, be more discerning, and try harder. Too much tolerance is a bad thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems that many people seek constant pleasure and ease in their lives

Yeah, like only everyone I've ever met.

Emotionally, I believe a range of feelings is healthy

So long as you are in control of your behavior.

And regarding the weather, I think it is simply a matter of spotting the beauty in various climates. I remember in the winter I started biking and thinking how cold it was, but after a few rides I began to tolerate the bitter cold by warming myself on the ride. I remember sitting on my bike in 4 inch snow on the Hot Metal Bridge looking at the moon over the downtown skyline. It was dead silent. You could never replicate that in the summer: you'd hear cars blasting stereos and people chatting late outside Hofbrauhaus not to mention the simple beauty in a cold snowy night.