Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Rating for 9/20: 3

I agree with Kyle--I'd love for you to keep up the system Dan, but if not, that's totally understandable. At least you still posted, even if it wasn't part of the rating system.
My day yesterday was so-so, more on the good side though. I continued to study Joyce, had a lovely coffee with Eva in the afternoon, spent time contemplating some very serious personal stuff (not bad stuff, just, perhaps, spending time thinking more about what it means to be a human being), rode my bike, was inspired by Scott Buchannon and Stringfellow Barr, and contributed to what turned out to be a great birthday for Ben. I screwed around a little, but overall, it was ok. I skated for a while too.
Dan, you know the quick and easy explanation that I've heard a lot of people give as to why St. John's exists is that it's a place for cultivating the habits and skills of the mind to properly engage the question of what it means to be a human being. And I agree that that question is essential, and not at all obvious or simple.

No comments: