Saturday, October 28, 2006

Outcome: "Win"
Record: 27-0
Streak: 27

Summary: Spent the morning with Eva, went shopping, bought my own copy of How To Read A Book, unpacked groceries, cleaned, did laundry, worked on the novel for an hour, and for the rest of the night I'm reading. 3 things.
1. Last night, when I went to hang out with Christian, I had an unexpected meeting with a tutor from Santa Fe, who was here for the board meeting. It was great talking to him. He was encouraging and made me feel like even last year, during a time when I basically felt like a piece of garbage, I was doing good things. We talked about a lot of stuff, and it was refreshing to have conversation of that quality again.
2. How to Read a Book is fucking awesome. I'm a few pages away from the end, but as soon as I finish, I'm going to read it again and create a wall chart based on the method in the book. I can recognize the merits of their method, and I will use it whenever I can.
3. I was so stressed out while shopping today. Mentally I was just freaking out. Everything was fucking with me. I ate a piece of chocolate and felt like I ruined my good work up until now, and when I bought the book, I felt guilty about spending the money. I was guilty and angry the whole time. People moving too slow at the store made me want to scream. My lack of mental composure almost made me give myself a loss. Fortunately I was able to work very hard to counteract my freak out, drank lots of water and took a flaxseed oil pill, and eventually I calmed down. I feel like I overcame whatever that was. One day when money isn't an issue, I think I'll check out therapy. I can recognize better and worse overall states of mental health in my own past and theraputic things that I've done for myself, like reading and thinking. Still, I'm curious about clinical psychology and whether it might be able to better my life. We'll see. For right now I feel good about my situation.

No comments: