Monday, December 11, 2006

Outcome: "Win"
Record: 67-4
Streak: Won 3

Summary: I came "out the box" with fury! Really though, today was day 1 of my dual mind approach (calm like a monk until that fails and then I whip myself into the character of a furious demon). I wrote some glorious morning pages, enjoyed my breakfast, rode to work with great intensity, burned tons of calories at work, got a start on this week's French, picked up a GRE study book, looked at that for 45 minutes, bought a beautiful new notebook, did Artist's Way exercises for 45 minutes, ate a lovely dinner topped off by a delicious, flowerless chocolate cake, talked to my mom on the phone, ran some errands, took care of some mail, did some holiday shopping, and paid some bills.
A couple things. 1: I decided that I need to have rigorous, objective evaluations of my progress whenever possible. For my weight loss goal, I'm going to weigh myself every day at the same time and record the result. Today was 175.7. I started at over 200, so I've done well in the last few months. 2: I'm switching to a note-book system. My apologies to my computer-savvy virtue seeking friends, I hate electronics and computers. They fucking blow. I'm going to sell my PDA. My whole system is now organized by two notebooks, the Big Book and the Small Book. I'm not going to get into nuts and bolts, but it's working very nicely so far. 3: I've been legislating firm policies for myself. Today I added a new one--"During the first 15 minutes of my 30 minute break at work, I must relax and eat without spending that time on any other tasks." Often I'll give myself some small task to be done in that time, or I'll read the Inquirer on-line. These are both virtuous tasks, but I need time to rest, collect my thoughts, breathe, eat, and get ready to kick ass on French and then get back to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't think that the computer-savvy virtue seekers like computers. I'm sure if it were up to Derek and I we'd drop our computers off the side of the South Street bridge and go snowboarding. By the way, what'd you think of those pics?

Chris said...

I liked the pictures