Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Outcome for the last three days: "Win, Loss, Win"
Record: 88-5
Streak: Won 1

Summary: It may have been a bad idea to go to Philly for a night and an afternoon. It threw everything off schedule, and I just can't keep myself together--I get so depressed when I leave, I just loose control. I said so much bullshit on Monday. I didn't mean most of the things I said. Like, that stuff I said over the phone to Dan was basically me speaking out of my ass. I bought a bunch of junk, neglected to do my grocery shopping, and stayed up late, which made my sleep deprivation from the last three days even worse. Whatever, it was still fun. I doubt I'll be going back to Philly again until May. The only exception would be if the Eagles were in the Super Bowl, in which case I think I'd go back up to watch.
It seems that my sense of new beginning was off-set by one day from the calendar, because today, not yesterday, felt like the start of a new year. In the spirit of new starts, I'm going to offer a new articulation of what it means when I give myself a win. I think I can boil down a win into three criteria. All three must be fulfilled in order to qualify.
#1, I must be ethical. I must always give proportionate attention to the important things, or the things most worth honoring/protecting/preserving. Without ethics you're not doing shit, at best, and you're ruining the world at worst.
#2, I must be strategic. Specifically, this means that I must do what will produce the best result objectively speaking. This sounds obvious, but it might be the hardest of my three. By default I live in accordance with aesthetics. I don't know if I can explain this (I tried in the past). Basically, if what I'm saying makes sense, I must recognize my aesthetic impulses and put them aside for more flexible and strategic approaches when striving to accomplish my goals.
#3, I must be vigorous. Fundamentally, if I opt out of doing something because I didn't feel like it, I get a loss. This is what I was saying the other day about laziness. But not only must I do what I should do, but I must do it "like a man", as the Godfather might see it, for example. I can't pussyfoot around and do half-assed work. I need to produce excellent work on every project and take pride in what I do. I can't say, "no chance, no chance!"(Godfather reference).

No comments: