Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Undisciplined Day

It's a shame that this day needs to be marked as undisciplined, but I'm going for 100% obedience. When I woke up I complained to my sister and my mom about work. They were sympathetic, and the situation is less than ideal, but my complaining was not virtuous. I whined like a bratty child. Once I got to work, I was calm, methodical, and disciplined. After work ended, I ate a healthy dinner, wrote an e-mail to Eva, practiced French, went to Wawa with my sister (I had a small dessert from there), and before I go to sleep I will read a little bit of Anna K.
I want to work on appreciation. Taking a moment before eating to reflect on my good fortune for having food at all would be a good thing. I've been doing that the last few days. This would apply to drinks too, as many people don't have water to drink. Even under the worst conditions, it seems there are things to be thankful of, and wouldn't it be better to meditate on those things than to bemoan the perceived negatives? I really am incredibly fortunate, and if I am to be disciplined, I should not complain (unless the complaint will actually fix something that is unjust or unethical).

Disciplined days: 0
Undisciplined days: 2

No comments: