Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Score: +1
Total: 41
Work hours today: ---
Work hours for the week: ---
Days Sugar Free: 0
Sleep: 8 hours until the test is over.

Comments: Worked, went for a bike ride, studied, ate, and worked on my Berkeley application. I did get up late this morning, and it did compromise my breakfast, which had a ripple effect throughout the day. I'm tired now, and I could have done more, but I did ok. It's important to limit attention on immediate tasks and not look around at things in the distance. We assume, as an article of faith, that if we do what we perceive as right and effective, we will arrive at our desired end point. The best way to work is to set about doing that work without worrying about what may or may not happen. In other words, if I can just do my shit--send out applications, put in my days, exercise dutifully, stick to my diets, etc.--eventually, my dreams will come true. But sometimes I get thrown off when things get difficult, which is human nature. Like, now I need to find a new job, because the work ran out at the place I was working since I moved. That plus my GRE plus applications tempts me to give up or at least go on an eating binge, or something. But I think if I do what I can--send in applications (both for work and for school), save money, and generally "do the right thing"--I will arrive at a good place. As I enter a dark or tough period, I need to put my head down, tape on the blinders, and go to work. If I can fully cultivate that quality, then I'll be invincible, Rocky Balboa style.

1 comment:

Derek said...

Don't you mean invincible like Vince Papale? Otherwise you're gonna have to start taking steroids.