Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Items Added to Task List: 1
Items Removed from Task List: 0
Items Remaining: 37

Comments: I'm not worried about my task list growth--I'm working efficiently (plus not all tasks require equal investments of time, so 1 completion could equal the resources of 5 new added tasks).
Today was tiring, and time boundaries got stretched by unforeseen events. Like, I set aside about 15 minutes for e-mails and posting, but then my sister emailed me something to proof read, and then Eva started laundry but the drier was broke, but she was doing dishes, so I ended up bringing up the laundry and hanging it all over the apartment. Now it's 11:39, and I wanted to be asleep by 11:00. I still haven't read, and I want to. I didn't get to read last night.
How can I change to follow my time boundaries more closely? First of all, I need to recognize that if I want to eat at 7, I need to start cooking at least by 5:30, if not earlier. I'm slow right now, since I'm a beginner, and that's just the way it is. Furthermore, I think going to bed at 10:30 is too early with Eva's schedule, so I will shift to 11:30 and get up at 8 (remember, 11:30 bedtime really means 12, since it takes about 30 minutes to fall asleep fully). I doubt I will be able to get more than 8 hours on a regular basis, to follow up on Dan's article. I'd like to, but even 8 is a lot. I also need to be more strict with the internet time. Whenever a task comes up during this time, if I can possibly avoid it, I should just add it to my task list and deal with it later. There is, however, the consideration of the 5 minute rule, that I've been working to incorporate into my routine. The 5 minute rule appeared in some business management magazine that I read a while ago, and it stipulates that any task that spontaneously arises that takes 5 minutes or less should be taken care of right then, when it comes up. If it takes more than 5 minutes, and it isn't an emergency, write it down and do it later. This is sensible, because not doing this would result in a backlog of little, annoying tasks in my task list. However, it seems that small things come up all the time. And sometimes a small thing seems small at first but then grows into a larger thing. I guess that's when you have to cut it off and write it onto the task list.

Plan for tomorrow: get up after 8 hours of when I go to bed, whenever that will be, work on Kaplan until 5, workout from 5-5:30, start making dinner, start eating by 7, write the letter for my sister, read e-mails + post in 20 minutes, read for 30 minutes, and go to bed. At first I wrote 15 minutes for posting and e-mailing, but that's completely unrealistic. Just to write this post took 15 minutes. I'll try 20. It would be discouraging to think that I need to spend 30 minutes or more doing internet stuff each night, though I guess Franklin spent a significant portion of his day reading and writing letter, if I remember correctly.

No comments: